Book Review: Midnight in Austenland

Midnight in Austenland (Austenland, #2)Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale


My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Having seen the movie Austenland, I jumped at the chance of reading its sequel. I enjoyed this book even though it was a very different story from the original. This one was fraught with mystery, and not just about who will end up with who in the overall romance that we can't help but expect from anything with "Austen" in the title, or the by line for that matter.

I enjoyed stepping back in time, so to speak, with the various characters and watching the various relationships and interactions unfold. I thought Ms. Hale did a great job of drawing you, the reader, into the story as it progressed through the drama and mystery surrounding midnight in Austenland.

I also enjoyed the fact that the main character, though maybe not so normal in her personal accomplishments, was very normal and very human in her personal life, ultimately driving her to the escape that was Austenland. I liked, too, that you were able to see glimpses of the real people behind the facades the other members of house were putting on. It made the story that much better.

I don't tend to love mysteries all that much, so I guess this was on me to not read the description of this book better. I just assumed it would be a great deal like its predecessor, with the exception of there being a romance at the higher income bracket than our last heroine, but just as "forbidden" so that it had to occur through a midnight rendezvous or two while everyone else was safely asleep in their beds. Romance was a significant part of the story, but it was by no means the main driving force.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a light mystery mixed with a touch of romance.





View all my reviews

Comments

  1. I love your experience as a reader.. I want to learn more about how you are growing as a budding author!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review Overload?

Recent Reads (Round 3)

Snowed In